C Change run regular Discovery Zone sessions at The Swindon Foyer in Bath Road Swindon.
The overall purpose of the Discovery Zone programme at Swindon Foyer is to inspire a change in attitudes and behaviour among residents who partake of the programme. The Discovery Zone is an interactive course under the general theme of achieving “movement from a Consumer to a Contributor” . Through the means of discussion, film, the arts and demonstrations participants explore such themes as latent potential and the power of choice. At C Change we concentrate on nurturing pro-social attitudes and behaviours as a means of reducing antisocial behaviour rather than tackling the anti-social behaviour itself. Put another way, we concentrate on the potential rather than the deficit.
“Fanning the sparks of good (social) behaviour instead of fighting the flames of bad (anti-social) behaviour” CChange
In 2012, it is estimated that around 50% of residents were involved in anti-social behaviour, including offending and drug abuse. Our programme offers a common sense approach to transformation exploring which attitudes are beneficial to people and which attitudes are harmful.
The work that C Change do at Swindon Foyer started in January 2014 and so far we have seen evidences of the following:
- A commitment to developing positive attitudes about themselves and others.
- This in turn gives rise to the desire to be of service and to make a contribution within the Foyer itself, or in the wider community.
- For some the movement might be an improved relationship with a family member. Other services included organising a live music charity fundraiser; doing a school assembly; entertaining residents of a local nursing home; a Macmillan Coffee Morning.
- Able to have meaningful conversations with others about the empowering ideas in the programme and encourage others to attend;
- Becoming involved in education, training, work or volunteering.